At Seven Hills, we are guided, each day, by our mission, our values, our commitment to a diverse community, and our ambitious vision for the future. Together, they shape who we are today and who we’ll be tomorrow.
Seven Hills engages hearts and minds, guiding students to cultivate their unique capabilities and preparing each for a meaningful role in a rapidly changing world.
Our values guide us. Our commitment to kindness, caring, and compassion is just as strong as our commitment to excellence. We want our students to take part in a community that both inspires and nurtures them. Here, they learn more than how to be good students; they learn how to be kind and confident people.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Guided by our mission and values, The Seven Hills School is committed to preparing its students to play an active role in making the world a more just and equitable place.
Accordingly, we seek to build and sustain a learning community that is equitable, inclusive, and diverse in the broadest possible sense: with respect to race, gender, religion, ethnicity, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, physical ability, family composition, learning style, political opinions, as well other characteristics, abilities, and perspectives that contribute to one’s view of the world.
We seek, also, to provide rich learning experiences that help students understand themselves and others, cultivate cultural competency, and explore complex issues of equity and justice. Our goal is to foster in our students the habits of mind and heart they will need to thrive in a complex, pluralistic, and interconnected global community.
We are, therefore, committed to:
- Enrolling a diverse student body, from a wide variety of backgrounds, whose varied perspectives can enrich our learning community.
- Attracting and retaining a more diverse board, faculty and administration.
- Sustaining a supportive and inclusive school culture that affirms and values the uniqueness of each individual, honoring our differences while embracing shared values.
- Seeking continuous feedback to better understand the experiences of stakeholders from diverse backgrounds and using it to challenge and refine our own practices.
- Encouraging all members of the community to explore honestly their assumptions and biases and to modify them when appropriate.
- Training our teachers to recognize and respond to a wide range of needs and learning styles among our students and to use inclusive and culturally responsive pedagogies.
- Ensuring equitable access to all of the school’s programs and enabling all students to thrive academically, artistically, athletically, socially, and emotionally.
- Exposing students to a varied, multicultural curriculum that explores the rich diversity of human experience and gives all students chances to see themselves in what they read and study.
- Enriching the curriculum to provide experiences – both in and out of the classroom – that deepen students’ understanding of the world and foster informed and engaged citizenship and service to others.
In pursuit of these goals, the Board of Trustees commits to providing on-going strategic direction and oversight, allocating the resources necessary to ensure continuing progress, and holding itself, as a governing body, to the highest standards of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Our Portrait of a Graduate
We want all of our students to become their best possible selves, unlocking their full potential to be active, engaged citizens, ready to lead and excel in a competitive global community. We have developed our deep and wide-ranging curriculum and programs to help foster these attributes and habits of mind. Our commitment to these ideas defines Seven Hills today, and also drives our model of continuous progress and momentum moving forward.
Our students are prepared to excel in college and beyond.
creative and critical thinkers
Our students ask why and what if.
Our students display tenacity and persistence.
Our students embrace cultures other than their own.
Our students live with integrity.
Our Educational Philosophy
At Seven Hills, our educational philosophy drives everything we do. We believe, of course, in setting students up for a successful college career. But we also want to play a role in preparing them for the rest of their lives. That’s why we intentionally model and teach our values to our students every day.
OUR Approach to teaching
Our teachers share a commitment to continuously developing their lessons and methods based on new research and best practices. The result is an intentional, future-focused curriculum that helps students become skilled problem solvers, empathetic leaders, and compassionate human beings.
At Seven Hills, we:
OUR Learning Environment
At Seven Hills, our classrooms are open, nurturing, and highly participatory. Teachers guide students through a journey of self-discovery while getting to know their individual learning styles and interests. By giving students the freedom to explore and experience new things, we help them become confident in who they are and what they want to do.
At Seven Hills, we believe that:
OUR Commitment to Character
We believe that who students are is just as important as what they know. That’s why we explicitly model and teach our values to our students from a very early age. As they grow into their own person, we strive to nurture their intellectual, moral, and social skills, so that they can become engaged, articulate, and responsible citizens of the world.
At Seven Hills, we:
Our method of teaching and learning
- We pose engaging questions that foster students’ passion for learning.
- We design complex tasks that build logic, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- We structure learning activities that require creativity, independent thought and innovation.
- We focus on content that engages students in compelling global issues.
- We design opportunities for meaningful collaboration.
- We craft opportunities for skilled and confident communication in a variety of media.
- We emphasize the use of technological tools for research, analysis, and communication.
OUR Strategic Plan
Our Strategic Plan articulates where we are and where we are going. It drives a process of continuous improvement that develops, each year, new outcomes, new opportunities to prepare our students to meet the challenge of tomorrow.