Testing or assessment comprise an important part of our admissions process.
Testing and Assessment information
pre-Kindergarten through grade 4
Due to limited space and a competitive applicant pool, we encourage families to submit an application by Dec. 1 and no later than Feb. 15 for a regular decision option (please refer to the Application Process page for dates and deadlines).
Pre-Kindergarten – Kindergarten
An application is required in order to schedule an admission assessment for pre-kindergarten and kindergarten applicants. After your admission application is submitted, your child will be scheduled for one of the following assessments:
- An assessment of your child’s developmental skills and school readiness takes place in a friendly, relaxed classroom atmosphere with teachers and small groups of children.
- For applicants to our pre-kindergarten for 2-year-olds program, we ask the applicant’s parents to join us for a family visit as part of the admissions process.
- Pre-kindergarten applicants currently enrolled in the Beginnings Parent and Toddler Program are waived the assessment portion of the application process as well as the application fee.
- Your child does not have to be fully toilet-trained at the time of the assessment but he or she must be fully toilet-trained by the first day of school with the exception of those students entering the pre-kindergarten for 2-year-olds program.
- Pre-kindergarten and kindergarten admission assessments for early decision admission applicants will take place Saturday, Dec. 7, 2019. Regular admission applicants will take place Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020.
Grades 1 through 4
Your child’s admission assessment includes an age-appropriate standardized test for grades 1 through 4 that measures general school ability along with achievement in reading and math. A comfortable, small group atmosphere awaits her, permitting careful teacher observation. An application is required in order to schedule admission testing for first- through fourth-grade applicants.
- Early admission decision applicants entering pre-kindergarten through grade 4: The required admission testing date for all Early Admission decision applicants is Saturday, Dec. 7, 2019. An application must be submitted no later than Dec. 1, 2019 (please refer to application process page for admission dates and deadlines).
- Regular admission decision for students entering pre-kindergarten through grade 4, admission testing will take place on the morning of Saturday, Feb. 8, 2020.
Grades 5 through 12
- Applicants to grades 5 through 12 should take the Educational Records Bureau’s Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE) as part of the admissions process. The ISEE is an admission test for students applying to independent schools. The test covers verbal and quantitative reasoning, reading comprehension, math achievement, and includes a non-scored essay that demonstrates your student’s writing skills.
- Please register your student for the appropriate test level: Lower School (applying to grades 5), Middle School (grades 6-8), or Upper School (grades 9 through 12).
- Applicants should register online for the test at www.erblearn.org. Follow the registration instructions on the site; The Seven Hills School’s member code is 361005. Students may take the ISEE at a school or at a Prometric Testing Center. Online test registration closes three weeks before the test date, and the group test fee is $120.
- Fifth grade, Middle and Upper School applicants wishing to be considered for early decision should take the ISEE by Saturday, Dec. 7, 2019, and for regular decision by Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020.
- For students entering the 11th and 12th grades, the PSAT, ACT, or SAT serves as an acceptable alternative to the ISEE, if the test is taken in the current year.
- Students who require F-1 visas or for whom English is not their first language should take the TOEFL, which measures English proficiency, in addition to the ISEE. For additional information about the TOEFL, visit the International Students page.
ISEE Testing at seven hills and Registration Dates
|Saturday Test Dates (8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)||Register Online By|
|Nov. 9, 2019*||Oct. 18, 2019|
|Dec. 7, 2019*||Nov. 15, 2019|
|Feb. 1, 2020||
Jan. 10, 2020
|May 9, 2020||
April 17, 2020
* Tests meet the Early Decision and Regular Decision deadlines.