Seven Hills History
The current incarnation of The Seven Hills School was established in 1974 by the merger of the College Preparatory School and the Hillsdale-Lotspeich School, all three of whose traditions of educational excellence date back to the start of the twentieth century.
College Preparatory School was founded in 1906 by Mary Harlan Doherty, a pioneer of college preparatory education in Cincinnati, to offer girls a strong classical education.
Meanwhile, across town in 1916, Helen Lotspeich began the Clifton Open-Air School in her home to provide boys and girls with an education that fostered their natural curiosity, creativity, and joy in learning.
In 1928, community leaders founded Hillsdale School, under the leadership of Miriam Titcomb, to provide an alternative in private education in Cincinnati.
The ideals, standards of excellence, dedication to the total development of each student, and legacy of stewardship and service to the community—which were hallmarks of our predecessor schools—continue to be intrinsic parts of a Seven Hills education.
The campus in East Walnut Hills, which formerly housed College Preparatory School, is now Seven Hills’ Doherty campus, which serves students grades pre-K through 5.
The campus near Madisonville, which was occupied by Lotspeich School and Hillsdale School, now serves as Seven Hills’ Hillsdale Campus, the location of Lotspeich School (Pre-K—5), Seven Hills Middle School (6—8), Seven Hills Upper School (9—12), and the School’s central administration and admission offices.
We honor the legacy and traditions of our predecessor schools and continue to be guided by their vision as we live out our school mission. They have helped make Seven Hills the school we are today.
The Seven Hills School is accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Central States and is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools.
The Seven Hills School admits qualified students of any race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, or sexual orientation to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally made available to students at the school.
The Seven Hills School community celebrated the 100th anniversary of the founding of its earliest predecessor school, Miss Doherty's College Preparatory School, with a yearlong celebration in 2005-2006. The year was filled with special events for students, current families, alumni/ae, and the community. "Miss Doherty" (kindergarten teacher Ginger Rubin) is pictured with prekindergartners and a 1923 Model T Ford.